Ham, Beans & Sweet Potatoes


I went out on a limb and tried something new based off a recipe I’d seen in a cookbook I borrowed from the library (I’ve been trying to reduce unnecessary stuff in my house so I’ve greatly reduced books and did some cuts to my cookbook collection) and I don’t know why I didn’t think to borrow cookbooks before!

I had a ham bone in the freezer from buying a whole ham. I’d cut the bulk of the meat off and chopped or sliced it for freezing and using in other recipes. Usually I use the ham bone for traditional ham & beans. But tonight I mixed it up and it was a success!

Ingredients:
-Ham bone with chunks of ham left on
-Two Medium sweet potatoes 
-1 can kidney beans (or white navy beans)
-1 packet dry onion soup
-2 cups water

Directions:

Put the ham bone in the crockpot. If frozen let it cook alone for 2-3 hours on low, or defrost in microwave to speed process. After ham is warm and some juices created from cooking, add drained kidney beans. Chop sweet potatoes into bite size pieces and add to crockpot. In a small mixing bowl add hot water and onion soup mix. Stir to combine and pour over contents of crockpot. Cool another 4 hours on low or until potatoes are tender and ham falls off bone. This can be done in the oven in a covered dish. 

We made stuffing to go with it and my husband was skeptical at first but told me later that was spot on to go with it!

Comments